Short-term side effects of Modafinil
- Modafinil use in people often cause stomach ache and severe headaches
- It has negative side effects like nervousness, anxiety, etc
- Consumers often suffer from diarrhea after consuming modafinil
- Many reports have suggested these of modafinil causes gastrointestinal problems
- Since, modafinil is a drug that artificially aides a person to stay awake, these of it mostly leads to insomnia
- Consumers have often complained about getting skin rashes that proved that the use of modafinil causes adverse effects in skin development
- New consumers who have been prescribed to use this medication often suffer from allergies (some of which are new to the consumer itself)
Well, these were the short-term side effects associated with the use of Modafinil among the general public. While some use it as a one-time use, there are people who use it on a regular basis. According to the officials, the prolonged use of Modafinil does not have any long-term safety and effectiveness. Hence, there are plenty of adverse effects that are visible in the long term.
Long-term side effects of Modafinil
- Excessive use of Modafinil causes Erythema Multiforme (EM), DRESS syndrome, Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TEN) and Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS). These are severe cutaneous adverse reactions that people had to excessive and prolonged use of modafinil.
- According to reports, Modafinil may have an adverse effect of hormonal contraceptives for a month after discontinuation.
- Use of modafinil is associated with psychiatric reactions among patients that have occurred in those people who have had or have not had any existing psychiatric history.
- Use of modafinil causes mood alteration effects as a means of addiction and dependency on the particular medication.
- Use of modafinil has psychological dependency if overdosed for an extended period of time. Withdrawal symptoms showed insomnia, lethargy, anxiety, and anhedonia.
- An overdose of modafinil can cause life-threatening effects on people. Hence, it should be used as prescribed by a certified medical practitioner.
- Long-term side effects also include palpitations, agitation, confusion, tremor, sleep disorders, nausea and nervousness among others.
Please note: Modafinil is a powerful nootropic drug and should not be used for treating children. It is not safe.
To conclude, one must always know the pros and cons before consuming any medication. Also, it is of utmost importance to intake medications as prescribed by the doctors. Medicine cures as long as it is not abused.