Even in states where marijuana is legal, some companies still drug test for it and will rescind job offers if you test positive for THC. This is where detox drinks come in. Detox drinks work by flushing your system out and essentially diluting your urine sample in order to mask toxin levels. They can work for nicotine, alcohol, prescription drugs, and other toxins as well. They are often used in combination with detox pills for added effect. Detox drinks are typically designed to be fast acting and are meant to be drunk on the day of your drug test.
Why Use a Detox Drink?
This is the main point of a detox drink, of course. Toxins such as THC and nicotine can build up in your system and remain around for quite a while as they are often stored in fat and will turn up in urine samples. Detox drinks work to temporarily mask these toxins even though they do not remove them.
Pass a (urine) drug test
The point of masking things like THC and nicotine is usually to pass a urinalysis. Sometimes you don’t have the time to properly detox your system before a test as they can come up randomly, such as when you get an unexpected job offer or your place of work does random drug tests.
Detox drinks usually start to work within a couple of hours and then you have a five-hour window in which to take your drug test. You’ll benefit from abstaining from smoking for at least a few days and also from performing other detox methods like taking detox pill kits but if you don’t have that luxury, detox drinks still work quickly.
Vitamins and minerals
Detox drinks generally contain vitamins and minerals that help give your urine color and make it appear as if it is not diluted. Without them, you would have a clear, diluted sample and need to retake your test potentially. These vitamins and minerals are good for your body and can have great health benefits, in addition to helping you pass your test.
Detox drinks themselves only mask THC but when used as part of an entire detox program, you can clear out levels of THC (or nicotine) from your body. This can make it easier to cut back your usage if that is something you are trying to do. Some people find that without the stored up levels of toxins in their bodies they also have a lowered tolerance when smoking and so require less.
As a consequence of having to flush your system out, detox drinks require that you drink a lot of water and also help you to expel that water. Getting rid of excess water can help with bloating.
Again, detox drinks work because you have to drink a lot of water and then the ingredients in the drink help to remove excess water from your system. They also often include ingredients such as cranberries, which are good for urinary tract health. Even if you’re not trying to detox for a drug test, detox drinks can be great for keeping your urinary tract healthy and avoiding UTIs.
This could potentially be a con for some people. Detox drinks also work by clearing out waste in your system and this can cause some people to have diarrhea or stomach upset. If you are someone who has trouble with constipation, however, the fiber and other ingredients in detox drinks can be a great help.
The 5 Best Detox Drinks to Help You Pass a Drug Test
This cleansing drink is designed for people with high levels of toxins in their bodies. It helps to support and boost your body’s own detoxifying processes. The full cleansing systems helps your circulatory, urinary, and digestive systems. It comes in a fruity, tropical flavor to make the detox process more pleasant. This is designed to be used in conjunction with a detox pill kit though you can use it on its own just be aware that it has a temporary masking effect, not a full cleansing effect.
- This liquid includes a vitamin blend that will help to make urine samples appear normal. This is important since urine samples that are too diluted will throw up a red flag even if you come up negative and it is likely you’ll have to take the test again.
- The instructions come with a chart that shows you how the levels of toxins in your urine go down, stabilize, and then go back up. This is helpful and important so you know when to drink the liquid compared to when your drug test is.
- I was able to get a negative test after using this. The window can be narrow though so make sure you’re within the window when tested.
- Good price. I’ve seen similar drinks for three times the price so this is a deal.
- Can be used by anyone regardless of weight or amount of toxins. If you’re worried about it not being enough, you can always drink a second bottle.
- The product description can be a bit misleading. This cleansing liquid dilutes your urine and masks any THC or nicotine present but it does not permanently cleanse them from your system.
- I had a big stomach ache after drinking this.
- The first hour after taking it I also had digestive issues and some diarrhea. This is to be expected from a cleanse I suppose but make sure you have some time where you can be home for about an hour or so after you drink this.
- The taste is pretty bad. It’s not terrible but I would suggest watering it down while drinking it.
- Results seem to be all over the board. For some people, it works perfectly and others it doesn’t work at all, even when instructions are followed perfectly. Weight, size, and amount of toxins don’t seem to be a factor in how it varies either.
This product from Alpha-Clean is designed to detox your body from caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, sugar, prescription drugs, OTC drugs, and THC. It contains no laxatives or stimulants, as some other detox products do. It contains an all-natural blend of herbs, including milk thistle, goldenseal root, burdock root, red clover, yellow dock, beet powder, and bentonite clay. You use it by dumping 1-3 capsules into a glass of water to create a drink. The blend of herbs not only helps to detox your system but helps to increase energy levels and support your immune system in order to keep you going throughout your detox. You can use this for up to two weeks.
- This is a product that works to actually detox your system and remove toxins, not just mask them. Once you have successfully detoxed and are able to pass an at home urine test, you don’t have to take your actual test within a certain window of time. You can take it at any point after that, so long as you do not reintroduce any toxins.
- You can use this for up to two weeks so you can detox longer.
- Has a better track record of working than the masking detox drinks. It isn’t 100% certain it will work for you, nothing is, but it is more likely than others.
- If using drinks I prefer to actual bottles of liquid. You could also just take these as capsules and not put the powder into your drink.
- The product doesn’t advertise itself as being able to help you pass a drug test but it can certainly be used that way. Because of this, though, you can’t necessarily get your money back if your complaint is that it didn’t properly detox you before a drug test.
This detox drink is designed to give you a five-hour testing window in which you should test negative on a urine analysis test. The drink is available in 17 and 32 oz sizes as well as three different flavors. There are no preservatives, dyes, or other synthetic ingredients included either. Ingredients include sodium, potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamins B1, B2, B6, and B12. There is also a blend of different herbs to assist in flushing fluids from your system while keeping your energy levels up. It is recommended that you avoid exposure to any toxins for at least 48 hours prior to using this on test day, though ceasing intake for longer is definitely better.
- This is another drink that is well-priced, so long as it works. It may seem odd to pay $20 for a drink but as long as you turn up negative on your test it is totally worth it.
- I can’t vouch as to how this works for heavy users or for people who have not abstained for a couple of weeks but this did work for me. I think abstaining from smoking for at least two weeks and drinking lots of water definitely helps this to work better.
- I liked the taste. I tried the cranberry pomegranate mangosteen and it was a much more pleasant flavor than some of the other drinks I tried. The taste was similar to vitamin water.
- There is a number to call on the package so that you can speak with a cleansing coach. They will answer any questions you have and help walk you through the process if you have any confusion or concerns about the directions.
- As with other products on this list, it isn’t quite clear on the product listing but this does not permanently detox your system. It temporarily dilutes and masks toxins in your urine so that you can pass a drug test within a five-hour window.
- I was nauseous after drinking this and also had some cramping and light-headedness. The cramping continued for a few hours.
- The included vitamins are supposed to help your urine sample to not be diluted but it doesn’t always work. I’d suggest drinking coffee or taking additional B vitamins or multivitamins in order to help with the dilution.
- This won’t happen if you follow the instructions and drink a lot of water, but this drink turns your urine green.
This detox drink is a formulation that is the same as Stinger’s regular detox drink but it is 5x stronger. It is designed to detox heavy smokers and works very quickly. You only have to take it 1-1 ½ hours before your test and then you simply refill the bottle four times with water and drink that as well. As long as you are urinating frequently (but are still able to before your test!) it should work to flush your system out. The drink also contains Niacin to help with giving your urine sample an undiluted appearance. It is necessary that you avoid exposure to THC, as well as alcohol and dairy, for a minimum of 48 hours or else this product will not work.
- This is designed to be fast acting. If you have a drug test sprung on you and only have a couple of days to detox, this is a good product to try.
- The grape flavor isn’t too bad, compared to the flavor of some other drinks.
- There is no dietary fiber so you won’t have to deal with potential diarrhea.
- This has mixed reviews, as some of the other products. When it works it works perfectly and within the timeframe but when it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work even if all directions are followed perfectly. Use at your own risk and honestly, do try detoxing for as long as possible since 48 hours may not be enough time.
- This does have Niacin but that isn’t always enough to give your urine sample that undiluted appearance. Take a multivitamin with this just to be safe.
- Heavier people may need to take two bottles in order for it to be effective.
If you are looking for a combination of detox drink plus detox pills, this is a great choice. When you buy the QCarbo32 detox drink you get a bottle of QPretox free. The drink is designed especially for people who have higher body weights or who are heavy smokers. The 32 oz herbal formulation acts quickly and is easy to use. When used in combination with the pre-detox pills, you will not only be able to mask the toxins in your body but actually flush them out until you reintroduce them. Do keep in mind that using the detox drink only will simply mask the toxins like other drinks do, though. The detox drink also contains a blend of vitamins, including Vitamin C, Vitamin B12, Thiamin, and Riboflavin while the pills contain B3. The vitamins help to make it so that your urine sample is not diluted.
- I like that this comes with a free bottle of pre-detox pills. If you have the time to abstain and use the pills for a few days (or a couple of weeks as that will yield better results) before your test then the drink will work much better because it won’t have to flush out and mask higher levels of THC, as you will have already detoxed at least some of it out of your system.
- This is specifically designed for people who are heavier in weight or who are heavy THC users. With other drinks, you may have to buy two or more to get the same effects as smaller people or casual users. You save money by having to only buy one.
- The drink contains 16 g of dietary fiber. This helps with flushing out your system and makes the drink more effective.
- This is a one-step drink. Some other drinks require you to drink water or complete other steps after consuming the drink but this one does not require water. Some extra water wouldn’t hurt, though.
- The vitamins included not only help to give your urine sample an undiluted appearance but because they are B vitamins, they help with energy levels. This is a great bonus for me!
- If the product doesn’t work, the company offers a money-back guarantee. Just return any of the unused pills and they will issue a refund.
- The bottle is “free” but the drink itself is more expensive than some of the other drinks on this list. That being said, it is still a good deal as you would spend more buying the two items separately.
- It’s a double-edged sword with the dietary fiber. It can cause you to have diarrhea if your body isn’t used to you consuming a lot of fiber. This helps to clear you out of course but isn’t a very pleasant experience. People who regularly consume a lot of fiber may not have this issue.
- There isn’t a 100% guarantee this is going to work. As with other drinks, the effectiveness does appear to vary from person to person.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Detox Drink
- Body fat: THC is stored within fat cells in the body. If you have a higher percentage of body fat, it is likely that you have larger amounts of THC stored in your body. It is going to take you longer to flush THC out of your system and you will need to abstain from smoking for longer than a person with a low body fat percentage. People who exercise regularly and have low body fat are able to flush THC out of their system more quickly and won’t need to abstain for as long, generally. Heavier people and people with higher body fat may need to drink more of a detox drink than those with low body fat.
- How much you smoke: Light smokers or people who only smoke occasionally will be able to flush toxins out of their system much faster than heavy, regular users. In fact, one bottle of a regular detox drink may not be enough to even mask THC levels temporarily for a heavy user. It’s important to abstain for as long as possible prior to your test and heavy smokers may need to use other detox methods in addition to the detox drinks in order to test negative.
- How long you have been abstaining: Detox drinks and other methods of detoxing work better the longer you have abstained from exposure to toxins. Even if you are using the best detox drink on the market, it is likely that if you’ve been smoking only hours before taking it that it won’t work. Abstain for as long as possible for best results.
- Testing window: Since detox drinks temporarily mask THC levels, you need to carefully consider your timing. If you take the detox drink too early, you risk losing the masking effect, missing your window, and failing your test. Check the product to see how long your window is, it’s typically something like five hours. You also need to check the window you have between when you drink the detox liquid and when the masking effects actually kick in.
- Price: Most of the detox drinks on this list will run you about $20.
The best of these by far is the Alpha-Clean Natural Drug Detox. While not a traditional detox drink, I like the fact that it actually detoxes your system. While the masking drinks can be great for when you don’t have a lot of time to detox and as an added step along with detox pill kits, I would feel better not just relying on a masking drink. Alpha-Clean Natural Drug Detox can be used for up to two weeks which is another thing I like as I think you need as much time as possible to detox. All of the drinks on this list can be effective but if you want something that will actually detox your system and not just mask the toxins, try this product.